Volunteer policy intern
Freedom from Torture has a policy internship programme for people with a background in human rights or refugee protection who are interested in pursuing a policy career within the NGO (non-governmental organisation) world.
Our internships are an opportunity to learn how large human rights NGOs develop and deliver their policy agendas, whilst also contributing to the generation of evidence-based policy on torture survivors specifically. Please note that a law degree, or enrolment in a university course leading to a law degree, is an essential prerequisite for this role.
Our internships are voluntary (unpaid) however we are able to reimburse lunch (up to £4) and reasonable travel expenses within London.
Previous policy interns have especially valued:
- Learning about torture, the rights of torture survivors and the UK's asylum system
- Gaining experience of how policy strategies are developed and implemented by NGOs
- Undertaking research
- Attending external meetings relating to human rights and refugee protection issues
- Learning about different advocacy methods
- Study trips to Parliament
- A supportive working environment