We offer training and other support to professionals who work with refugees, asylum seekers and vulnerable migrants, including people that have survived torture.
We can help you and your team:
- Understand the impact of complex trauma and loss on people
- Assess the needs and risks of survivors of torture and their families
- Learn good practice in working with survivors of torture
- Training designed for your needs
- Courses that individuals can join
- Supervision, peer support and consultation
We make sure that any training we deliver is relevant and appropriate to you.
Because we want you and your team to feel confident putting the learning into practice straight away, we usually ask staff and volunteers to participate in a pre-training ‘needs analysis’. This allows us to learn more about your work and specific challenges.
Current training programmes
The course definitely improved my understanding, great delivery style - relaxed discussion, able to raise points and ask questions, backed up with good handout information.
We can train and support:
- Psychotherapeutic practitioners in voluntary and statutory counselling services
- GPs, nurses, midwives, psychiatrists, pain specialists and other health professionals
- Social workers
- Child and adolescent mental health services staff
- Frontline advice workers for asylum seekers and refugees
- Legal representatives
- Housing providers
Our training and supervision sessions are facilitated by our frontline practitioners, who work directly with survivors of torture. They bring lived experience as well as theoretical knowledge of working with survivors to training.
At Freedom from Torture, we have been working with people who have survived torture since 1985. We practise ethical and empowering approaches to supporting survivors. We help people managing the long-lasting physical and psychological effects of the torture, as well as the trauma of loss and living in exile.
Where we operate
We can offer training all over the UK.
Visit our contact us page and send us a message if you'd like to find out more about training. Please include your name, organisation (if applicable) and email address in the message and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.