We are Survivors Speak OUT (SSO): a national network of torture survivors who have fled persecution and sought protection in the UK. We are all former clients of Freedom from Torture.
By drawing on our lived experience of torture and seeking protection through asylum, we hope to influence decision-makers and raise public awareness of the challenges facing survivors trying to rebuild their lives in the UK.
What are our aims?
In speaking out, we aim to:
- Promote survivors' active engagement in the issues directly affecting them;
- Campaign against the use of torture and its impact;
- Establish the right to rehabilitation for survivors of torture worldwide;
- Raise awareness of the issues facing survivors of torture in the UK;
- Be the voice of survivors who have been silenced by fear or trauma.
What makes Survivors Speak OUT unique?
Our survivor-led structure and approach is unique. We are not just case studies or 'testimonies' whose voices are appropriated by others in the fight against torture; we are experts seeking our own opportunities to engage and influence others.
The natural authority and breadth of first-hand experience we bring to debates around torture makes our survivor activism a powerful mechanism for change.